Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium$14.61
- High quality, chelated magnesium
- Not cut with cheap magnesium oxide
- Formulation is gentle on digestion
- Good value for quality
- 100mg/tablet; easy to divide dose
- Large tablets can be difficult to swallow
- Pricier than most oxide and citrate products
Doctor’s Best Magnesium is a popular magnesium supplement that is sold in tablet form and swallowed orally. Each tablet contains 100mg of magnesium, approximately 25% of the RDA for adults.
This product earns our top marks. It is among the highest quality magnesium supplements at a competetive price.
When comparing different magnesium supplements, the first thing to consider is the form of magnesium.
In nature, magnesium can be found in many forms, and some are much more beneficial than others. Doctor’s Best Magnesium contains a very high quality form known as magnesium glycinate/lysinate that is easily assimilated by the body. The body treats this form of magnesium much like protein and rapidly absorbs it into the blood where it is distributed throughout the body. As a result, your body can absorb between four and six times the amount of magnesium when supplementing Doctor’s Best Mangesium than when supplementing more common forms of magnesium, such as magnesium oxide.
Once absorbed into the body, magnesium glycinate/lysinate is broken down into elemental magnesium and two common amino acids, glycine and lysine. Supplemental glycine and lysine have a very strong safety profile. Most individuals will not experience any negative side effects from glycine or lysine in the amounts found in Doctor’s Best Magnesium. Glycine is known to have a calming effect, making this product a good choice for those taking magnesium to reduce symptoms of anxiety.
Unlike some other magnesium products, Doctor’s Best Magnesium is not cut or “buffered” with magnesium oxide or other low quality forms of magnesium. You can rest assured you’re getting what you paid for as the magnesium glycinate/lysinate used in Doctor’s Best Magnesium is tested and verified using a patented system known as TRAACS®. In addition, independent 3rd party testing has confirmed that Doctor’s Best Magnesium contains within 5% of the labeled amount of magnesium.
Supplements are not tested by the FDA or any other regulatory body. We assess the safety and purity of reviewed supplements by considering the supplement makers’ reputation, its manufacturing practices, and third party laboratory assessments. Doctor’s Best has a strong safety record, and protects this reputation by ensuring that:
- All of its products are manufactured using FDA cGMP guidelines in FDA inspected facilities.
- All products are independently tested to specification to determine levels of heavy metals and microbiologic contaminants before being released for sale.
In addition, 3rd party lab tests find that Doctor’s Best Magnesium is free of concerning levels of arsenic and other harmful substances found in other popular magnesium supplements.
Most supplements contain added ingredients, which are known as excipients or “other ingredients.” There are a many reasons supplement makers add these extra ingredients to supplements. Some common reasons include: increasing shelf life, improving absorption, ensuring consistency, improving palatability, and simplifying the manufacturing process.
Doctor’s Best Magnesium contains four excipients, all of which all four have a strong safety profile. An older formulation of Doctor’s Best Magnesium contained Propylene Glycol, which is an ingredient of concern. All products produced since 2015 should not contain propylene glycol.
|Inactive Ingredient||Safety Concern|
Doctor’s Best Magnesium is not the cheapest magnesium supplement available, but it is priced extremely reasonably for the level of quality.
- Out of the 47 magnesium products reviewed, Doctor’s Best Magnesium was the 23rd cheapest
- Doctor’s Best Magnesium is cheaper than 75% of all chelated magnesium products reviewed
- The cost to obtain 100% of the recommended daily allowance for magnesium using Doctor’s Best Magnesium (400mg) is approximately $0.25/day or about $7.50 per month.
At the time of review, over 3,000 customers had posted reviews for Doctor’s Best Magnesium, of which over 90% of reviews were positive. Doctor’s Best Magnesium is among the highest rated magnesium supplements available.
Amazon: 4.5/5; Iherb: 4.5/5; Vitacost: 5/5; Vitaminshoppe: 4.4/5
Summary of Critical Reviews
- Some feel that Doctor’s Best Magnesium tablets are uncomfortable to swallow. Some complain that the tablets are too large, while others feel that the the protective coating on the tablet dissolves too quickly, causing the tablet to begin disintegrating before swallowing. The tablets are 7/8th’s of of an inch long and 1/4th of an inch wide.
- Since each tablet contains just 25% of the RDA for magnesium, many customers take two or more tablets per dosage. One the one hand, this makes it easy to divide and break up dosages, which some customers appreciate. Other customers do not like having to take multiple tablets in one sitting.
- A few customers have complained about an off-putting smell upon opening their bottle of Doctor’s Best Magnesium. This does not appear to be a common issue. One reviewer contacted Doctor’s Best about this issue and posted the following response from the company:
- “From time to time some product has residue remaining on the tablet during the coating process which was intended to dissipate before bottling, but did not. Unfortunately, it appears this event occurred with the product you purchased and the dissipation of the coating process material occurred, but after bottling.”
- Magnesium supplements are known to cause digestive upset and act as a laxative at high dosages. Many reviewers who have tried other magnesium products find that Doctor’s Best Magnesium glycinate/lysinate is gentler on the GI tract and induces a milder laxative effect than many other forms of magnesium. However, some reviewers have noted experiencing digestive upset or loose stool while taking this product. Surprisingly, a small handful of reviewers have also experienced constipation while taking Doctor’s Best Magnesium.
The following testimonials for Doctor’s Best Magnesium are provided by Amazon Verified Purchasers.
- Relief from Headache and Migraine:
Two months ago I started taking these and I have only had three headaches total, all of which were very tolerable and manageable…as opposed to the horrific ‘head in a vice accompanied with nausea headaches’ I was having regularly. – 319
I have been suffering from 3 day long migraines that occur about twice a month for the last 7-8 month…these pills have totally changed my life…I still get the occasional headache, but they are minor and go away as soon as I take a minor painkiller. – JD
- Reduction in Anxiety:
I can say without a doubt that since taking this product / increasing magnesium levels, I no longer suffer with anxiety / panic attacks. I feel mentally balanced…I can only explain it as I feel emotional balanced – calm – like floating on a raft in a summer day in a wave-less lake – Jamz
After about two weeks of being on the magnesium (my husband) was able to completely quit taking…Xanax and has not had an anxiety attack in about a year since taking Doctor’s Best Magnesium. – Dominique S
- Relief from Insomnia:
Before I started taking this product, I had serious chronic insomnia for 40 years. I didn’t sleep more than 2 hours at a time most nights. Within three weeks (of taking this product) I was sleeping the night, every night. I feel much more relaxed and calm. – Snazzmo
This product… has made a drastic improvement in my REM sleep and helps with my fibromyalgia pain. Take it before bed and you’ll be amazed. – Glanz
Multiple reviewers of Doctor’s Best Magnesium have also noted the following benefits:
- Reduction in neck and back pain and stiffness, including sciatic pain
- Fewer heart palpitations and recovery from arrhythmia
- Improvements in blood pressure
- Reduction in muscle pain and muscle cramping; particularly leg cramping
- Elimination of muscle spasm; Reduced frequency of ticks and/or twitches
- Relief from jaw clenching / TMJ
- Elimination of PMS related hot flashes
- Fewer (junk) food cravings
- SupplementSpecs Top Rated Product
- Manufactured in USA
- Manufactured in FDA cGMP facilit
- Non GMO